It is likely that you are visiting our website because addiction is harming you, or a loved one’s life. Now the time has come to seek out information about tackling addiction and to take action.
There comes a point when the need for treatment becomes apparent and potentially lifesaving. When obtaining professional help becomes an imperative, you face the difficult process of choosing a treatment provider.
Your research is uncovering an abundance of clinical information and you are probably visiting the websites of numerous addiction treatment organizations all showcasing their capabilities and facilities.
How then do you distinguish between the various treatment providers, and how do you determine which organization and treatment program is right for you.
Here’s what we believe should be taken into consideration in your selection of a treatment provider:
Is the treatment provider accredited?
- Trafalgar Addiction Treatment Centres is accredited by CARF. CARF is the mark of quality in the field of mental health and addiction treatment. Trafalgar is proud to embrace the internationally recognized organizational and program standards required by CARF for accreditation. CARF is a renowned accreditation body that sets international consensus standards for health and human services organizations. Its mission is to promote the quality, value and optimal outcomes through a consultative process and continuous improvement that centre on enhancing the lives of persons served.
What are the professional credentials of the clinical staff?
Members Of Our Clinical Team Are Registered With The Following Colleges & Associations:
- College of Psychologists Ontario (CPO)
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- College of Registered Psychotherapists (CRPO)
- The Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists and Psychotherapists (OACCPP)
- The Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF)
Who administers treatment? Therapists or addiction counsellors?
- Therapists and addiction counsellors play an equally important and collaborative role in the treatment process. What distinguishes their roles rests with the difference in: education and training, experience and professional responsibility.
- At Trafalgar our masters level, registered therapists develop and administer treatment programming, provide individual therapy, and facilitate specialized group sessions. Whereas our addiction counsellors, some in recovery themselves, act as mentors, lead group sessions and provide clients with personal guidance and support.
What is the client to staff ratio?
- Our average client is staff ratio is 1 (client) to 2 (staff). This ratio indicates the total number of Trafalgar staff sharing in the responsibility of offering clients the best care possible.
- Our client to clinical staff ratio is 2 (clients) to 1 (staff). This ratio indicates the number of clinical team members directly involved in providing client care.
Will private insurance companies cover the cost of treatment?
- Most insurance companies do recognize treatment with us and provide coverage. However insurance coverage is dependant on the company you deal with and your individual plan. Rest assured we will support you in providing your insurance company with the information required to submit a claim. Please contact us for details.
Is the addiction program provided 12-step based?
- Trafalgar Addiction Treatment Centres programs are NOT 12-step based. We do however provide clients the option and facilitate participation in 12-step programming.
Are they able to offer a wide range of treatment programs, and do they offer a choice in location?
- Trafalgar Addiction Treatment Centres operates two residential facilities and an outpatient clinic. Each facility offers it’s own distinct treatment programming.
- At our West rehab centre, in Erin Ontario, we offer mental health intensive programming that is most suitable for those struggling with severe underlying, psychological issues fuelling the addiction; such as: trauma, chronic/severe depression, or anxiety.
- Programming at our East rehab centre, in Gores Landing Ontario, is ideal for those that require psychological help but are in need of more intensive addiction specific treatment.
- Trafalgar Outpatient rehab centre, in midtown Toronto Ontario, Addiction Treatment Centre offers treatment for addiction and concurrent mental health disorders; based on a client’s needs schedule and budget.
Do they quote extremely high success rates or provide recovery guarantees?
- If success rates are quoted be sure to understand exactly how success is defined. Are they referring to the successful completion of treatment; or sobriety for some period of time? If so, what period of time and what are the qualifying conditions for “success”.
- Be sure to understand exactly what the guarantee covers. No one can guarantee recovery. What makes us one of the leading Canadian treatment centres is the fact that we provide a solid foundation for recovery and are there to support clients if they encounter problems once they leave our care. At Trafalgar we will ensure that realistic expectations are set and achieved. Our guarantee provides for re-admission into treatment should the client encounter problems or relapse. Ask your admissions advisor for details.
How does the treatment provider and it’s clinical staff stay current and offer the latest innovations in providing treatment?
- At Trafalgar we are dedicated to offering the latest proven clinical advances in addiction treatment. Recently we introduced 2 new technically advanced clinical tools, ContinUCare and Cue-Exposure (VR) Therapy.
- Exclusive to Trafalgar Addiction Treatment Centres is ContinUCare. This is an empirically and clinically based system, supported by technology, designed to maintain an ongoing, individualized link between the client and their Trafalgar care team long after structured rehab treatment has been completed.
- Leveraging the latest technology and clinical research, Cue-Exposure (VR) Therapy places clients into situations (such as in a bar) that are apt to trigger cravings. Under the watchful eye of a therapist, Cue-Exposure (VR) Therapy helps clients with sobriety maintenance, relapse prevention skills and ability to cope with emotional triggers and cravings.
- Ongoing education and training of our clinical staff is a Trafalgar mandate. Throughout the year, clinicians are provided with a range of internal training programs and are expected to participate in external professional courses and workshops as identified by our VP of Clinical Services. In addition to management mandated educational programs, we have a formalized educational policy to subsidize any applicable skill enhancement courses or workshops of interest to our therapists and counsellors.
Can they provide details about all elements of their treatment program?
- At Trafalgar all elements of the treatment program are clearly explained. In fact after speaking to one of our admissions advisors you can be provided with a comprehensive weekly schedule detailing all program elements.
What services are provided to the client after they complete the treatment program?
- At Trafalgar we provide lifelong Aftercare at either of our 2 residential facilities and our outpatient clinic located in midtown Toronto. In addition to Aftercare we also provide ContinUcare.
- If a residential client encounters problems after program completion and is in need of help, we will re-admit them at no charge for up to a week.
Will residential clients be safe and secure?
- While in our care, a client’s family or loved ones can rest easy knowing that the client is being supervised 24 hours a day, seven days a week and has access to therapists, counsellors and medical help if needed.
What do we expect from our clients?
- For the duration of a client’s stay with us, they are expected to abide by the rules, actively participate in all group sessions, individual therapy sessions, and other activities, such as fitness, yoga and art therapy. Clients become part of the Trafalgar family and are expected to respect other members of the family.
Do they charge sales tax (HST)? Is treatment eligible for a medical tax credit?
- Since all Trafalgar Addiction Treatment programs delivered are supervised and under the guidance of registered health professionals (Clinical Psychologist, Registered Social Workers, etc.) our programs are considered Health Service and are therefore HST exempt. The costs communicated to you by our intake professionals is the total cost of programming.
- Receiving treatment with us is eligible for a medical tax credit. To submit your medical tax credit claim you will be required to provide proof of payment, an invoice from Trafalgar Addiction Treatment Centres and a letter from our Clinical Psychologist confirming that treatment was required.
Can you receive a refund?
- Any deposit payment made is fully refundable at any time prior to admission. In the event that a client decides not to engage in treatment or chooses to leave treatment within the first 24 hours of admission, a 90% refund is provided. Any funds withheld will be credited for up to one year should the client be readmitted into a Trafalgar facility. Ask your admission advisor for further details.